Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fat Bird goes to Wales

Went to Bala for a few days - staying in some holiday cottages with Husband and 14 friends. The cottages were very pleasant - www.cyffdy.com for more details.

As there were so many photos from last weekend, they are in a separate blog: http://fatbirdgoestowales.blogspot.com/

It was a great weekend - lots of active stuff combined with lots of eating and drinking so hopefully, no overall detrimental additional strain on the zips of my jeans.

Friday: Went to Coed y Brenin - which is apparently well known as a good place for mountain biking & did their Sports route. The hardest 9.3 mile route I've ever done! Lots of custom made downhill stuff that's designed to challenge you. Husband and Z flew down, whereas I "made my own way" - lots of walking, paddling, panicking & general wimping out. And it was Z's first time ona mountain bike - insult to injury! Gorgeous views of a river carving its way through the hillside. More details of the route are on www.mbwales.com


Saturday: Quad Biking - which should have been a 0 exercise, but clinging to the handlebars and gripping the saddle with my thighs thinking "I'm going to die, I'm going to die" for nearly 2 hours caused some aching bits afterwards..... Laser clays were definitely 0 exercise but my tired arms struggled to lift the gun!

Sunday: Back to Coed y Brenin & repeated the Sports route as I'd decided that "intermediate" was the limit of my ability and all the others were "advanced". Glad that I did repeat it as I was much better than the first time - especially on the final downhill. Tried out the technique picked up from New Zealand (drop saddle, hang arse over rear tire, keep pedals level) which really did work. Still felt like the coward that I am - but improved.
Then went white water rafting at the National Whitewater Centre near Bala. Not a coward with this - I think I'm fairly practised as I've rafted there quite a few times. Good fun, good company and very soggy.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

Why didn't you fall in like you usually do? Tsk, tsk you are losing your touch!