Monday, May 22, 2006

Fat Bird Goes to Lake District

Part 2 of our hols!

Wednesday: Slipped in a very brief gym visit before driving up to stay with middle sister & family. Glad that Husband convinced me that we did have time. 10mins on the X trainer, 10 mins jogging and then some weights.

Thursday: Very pleasant 9 mile bike ride around Claife Heights on the west shore of Windermere. Resorted to walking quite a few of the ups and a couple of the scarier downs. The rain held off, but it wasn't the brightest of days. The ride was very much 2 halves - the first included a long climb to the brow of the heights in rugged looking upland landscape. The second half was a gentler whizz along the shore line, with some gorgeous bits of mossy oak woodland, carpeted with bluebells.And we also had a toddler paced amble later on - my 17 month old nephew did lots of pointing excitedly at absolutely everything - sheep, goats, tractors, vans, river, trees, ants....

Friday: Dragged Husband out for a half hour consitutional walk before dinner. It was a good opportunity to scope out where Middle Sister's wedding will be in August - a spot with great views of the countryside east of Kendal. I was pleased witht he light in both the attached photos.

Saturday: Grizedale forest - we did a 7 mile circuit (more would have streched my nephew's tolerance of being in a bike seat too far) although Husband and Brother-in-Law-2b did escape off for 1 stretch of the downhill course. Now have plans to go back there on the Friday before middle sister's wedding to do the full downhill route and to see a few more of the sculptures in the forest.... I used my sister's bike for the last part - it's a very fast, urban bike - big slick tires, no suspension and beautifully built. If I ever find myself doing lots of road cycling, it'd be tempting to trade up my hybrid to something similar.

Sunday: Great Manchester 10K Run - completed it, albeit following my "I haven't trained enough plan" of walking alternate kilometres. That worked much better than attempting to run all of it & resorting walking after 5K as I didn't feel as if I had failed. Plus, having the shorter targets for each bit I ran worked very well.

Middle Sister & Brother-in-Law-2b did brilliantly. I was able to see their final sections due to the staggered starts & parallel bits of the route. Seeing Middle Sister bounding along, looking very comfortable with only 1.5k to go was a fantastic sight!

It rained - which I prefer to blazing sunshine - but that did mean driving back down south with wet feet in soggy trainers!

No comments: